Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Blogging when I should by studying...

...also, there is a glass of Chardonnay just inches from my left hand. I am a terrible, terrible student.

I find myself questioning my art/talent/business sense/motivation. Doubt, as it were. I am a lousy student, even at subjects that interest me, possibly because of my complete and utter contempt for the school system in general. My Animal Communication prof asked us if we think that grades are part of a "reward" system, and if so, are they effective? It was nice to get my feelings out. The American public school systems in general produce very good test-takers, and unfortunately, it is such talents that are rewarded most, even at the university level. We jump through hoops and get the A, but at what cost to ourselves? What sort of knowledge are we missing out on? Even so, I'm not sure where my painting business is going, if it's going, or more to the point, if I have the business sense to keep it up. We shall see, se shall see.

Anywho, I want to direct your attention to a fabulous etsy store that I just discovered called Clear Mountain Craft.

Clear Mountain Craft pottery

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful pottery that I wish I could afford. One of these days we will move to our mountain fortress and I will have all kinds of awesome pottery. Complete with coarse blankets depicting the rising Phoenix and lots of turquoise jewelry. I actually do really want this piece.

turquoisenecklace

How pretty is that!? I will totally be able to buy jewelry one day...one day.

diary33

I know you other college students get this. Especially those with degree plans as silly as mine. I mean, really, Michelle, English literature? Because that's totally useful for, you know, getting a job and such. Not. I am actually getting really excited about my linguistics classes and would love to study second language acquisition. Now, there is something useful.

So early in the day and already running so late! I must fly.

*Edit: The Chardonnay was from last night. I am not a total lush!*

Chelle

4 comments:

{Ashley} said...

I have no idea what this post is about. Oh, wait. Is it about ceasing to paint? I hope not. Selling paintings is just something to do, or it can be a major source of income. Do what you feel, and don't let someone else tell you to doubt that decision.

I like your work. Please get me a real job and I will purchase them all.

Chelle Lynn said...

Aw, thanks! I am not quitting my paintings, just frustrated with my work, not sure what direction I want to go in, etc. Also, I'm really bad at the whole business side of things. Actually, just clueless is more like it. But, I'll get better!

Good luck with your interview, btw. I hope you guys have a fabulous anniversary weekend! :)

Celia said...

I just had this discussion with Jeff last night...I hate my degree (well the major part, I minored in music for the hell of it)! Like every other minute I think about going back to college, but having like 12 different degrees- none them making any sense either. I hate it when people are like, so your husband is a biostatistician, what's YOUR background?? Usually I'm mentally thinking "well jerk I'm a serial killer and you're my first victim..." ;p
BTW, don't all the better artists come to a 'questioning their work point?' ;p

Chelle Lynn said...

Celia- Just last night some acquaintances were asking me what I can "do" with an english degree. God, I really hate that question. The answer is "nothing", people! Nobody even works in the field of their degree, anyway (unless they are a doctor or biostatistican, of course)! Hopefully the questions will stop once I graduate.