Monday, October 26, 2009

Foodie Fun and Other Goodies

I think that there needs to be a run-down of some fabulous (and not-so-fabulous) food:

FTW:

Boudro's, San Antonio River Walk- the dishes (Gulf Coast Seacakes and Center Cut Stip Sirloin) were so tasty and cooked to perfection. Disappointingly, their famous guacamole was way too citrus-y and just plain nasty. The same for their margaritas. I would definitely recommend Boudro's, but skip the guac and ritas.

York Street, Dallas- a tiny little restaurant, this place only seats about 45 people, creating an incredibly intimate atmosphere. The staff are engaged and professional, and the food is out of this world amazing. The Buffalo New York steak that I ordered was perfection. A great plus about this place is the focus on sustainability and seasonal ingredients; their produce is purchased almost exclusively at the Dallas Farmer's Market. This place is definitely our new "date night" location.

Masaryk Modern Mexican Kitchen, Addison Circle- Everyone knows how much I love my Mexican food. And, there has come to be a certain expectation for Tex-Mex- greasy food shlopped on a plate and covered with cheese. What could be better? Well, Masryk delivers all the things we love about Mexican food, but with cleaner flavors and smashing presentation. No vat-o-queso for this bunch. To top it all off, the margartias...oh, the margaritas, they are powerful and delicious. My new favorite Tex-Mex place (sorry, Mi Cocina!)

Epic Fail:

Biga on the Banks, San Antonio Riverwalk- Worst Dining Experience Ever. This restaurant is hailed as the quintessential San Antonio restaurant, but all I got out of it was an uneven, over cooked steak with a sticky bernaise, and I can honestly say that the service was appalling. I understand that Corban and I look young, and we have noticed that it means that we get different service than others at times. The table across from us got literally double the attention from our server who just slapped things on the table and didn't talk to us at all. Not to mention the fact that a busboy came and took our plates away before we were finished eating. Plus, the decor looked like a magician's boudoir. Needless to say, we did not stay for drinks or dessert. DO NOT GO TO BIGA ON THE BANKS, EVERRRRRRR!

I guess three wins to one fail isn't so bad! Life, it seems...is good.

Now for a recent exciting acquisition. The other day I bought a sewing machine off Craig's List for $50- my first CL purchase! I want to have a bunch of new pillows and curtains, etc for the new place, but they are so expensive to buy; so, I thought I'd try making some myself!

DSC02145

Portable, yet heavy.

DSC02146

It even came with a button holer! Not that I know what a button holer is, but that's ok. I spent about 45 minutes earlier today learning how to thread the damn thing (it's been years since I've touched a sewing machine), and now I'm ready to start picking out fabrics!

Also, a couple paintings I finished recently:

thelastdolphin1


suicidemime1


Whew, that was a long one! Now to clean out the fridge. Yum...

Chelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The button holer is genious:) wish i had one!
<3