Saturday, May 30, 2009

Summer Days

Well, I finally got registered for summer classes at DCCCD. Finally. I had to berate someone on the phone in order to get them to acknowledge that they had received my transcripts, but once that was done, it was smooth sailing. So, I am taking a five week chemistry class beginning the middle of next month, and then an online biology class right after that. It's going to be an interesting summer. The good news is that, as long as I pass all my courses, both over the summer and in the fall, I graduate in december! Yes.

However, amidst all the excitement and celebration is the nervous anticipation of The Next Step, namely, What To Do After College. It is the question that gnaws at me like a mosquito bite, the one that I can't seem to get away from, no matter how much I might ignore it because it is the question that people will not stop asking me. "So, what do you want to do after you graduate?"

And, like so many others, I do not know.

I mean, I have ideas, just nothing concrete enough to go about describing to my grandmother. Vagueness is the name of the game, but I'm getting to the point of no return and I would really like some solid ideas of where I'm headed before I'm thrown into the fray. Obviously, I would like to make painting a fully time gig, but that's not going to happen for a while yet, and I'd really like to do something interesting with my life instead of just settling on the first thing that sticks. I'm thinking seriously about linguistics right now, but I'm worried about getting into too academic a field. I've hated a lot of my literature studies because it just ends up being a lot of useless people pontificating to one another about their own cleverness. Opinion is presented as fact (which, I understand, is basically how things work), and only the eloquent survive. All the while, only a handful of people every century come up with any new kind of way to see things, and no one really puts anything back into society. Acadamia is this huge culture-consuming machine that just eats and eat and only ever produces waste. So, I am weary of entering into a career field with limited practical application. Plus, I'm not that smart and terribly unmotivated when it comes to research. It is boring.

So, practical application, people, whad'ya got?

On the bright side, the vacation party went really well last night! It was really nice to hang out with friends and see my mommy.



Mommy got hot new glasses!



And now we anticipate my little sister's high school graduation! How exciting!

Chelle Lynn

No comments: